FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishman
tannerm wrote:also were you not cleaning the media? I boil it. Some people microwave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I literally roast it, bake it, boil it. I thoroughly treat any peat moss that i buy. It was probably spread by gardening tools I was using. It can be spread many different ways. If I had to guess, that would be the biggest reason why it stayed around as long as it did.
Last edited by Fishman on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Fishman
tannerm wrote:
Fishman wrote:After testing a soil sample, Pythium was the cause of damping off I was having for a good period of time that i was growing. Used to keep a vat large enough to store about 12 cu ft of spagnum peat moss in. Everything I planted in the stuff was dying from it. Finally discarded the whole lot of it, and went with a different brand, although it may have just been that batch as opposed to the brand I was purchasing at the time. I have kept my peat pot raised drosophyllum in a tray of water since day 1 (with the "newer" peat moss) until my recent repotting it into the 14" terra cotta. Am now slowing down quite a bit with watering.
Yeah yours look great now. Did you use lava rocks as top dressing?

Yes. I crushed it up and made smaller pieces out of it. Theres also some granite mixed in with it as well.
By tannerm
Fishman wrote:
tannerm wrote:also were you not cleaning the media? I boil it. Some people microwave

I literally roast it, bake it, boil it. I thoroughly treat any peat moss that i buy. It was probably spread by gardening tools I was using. It can be spread many different ways. If I had to guess, that would be the biggest reason why it stayed around as long ss it did.
Gotcha, well I hope at least one of mine germinates

By tannerm
UPDATE - WE HAVE GERMINATION!!!!!

ImageImage

By nimbulan
slinx wrote:It already started a side shoot before its cotyledons got out of the seed, that's pretty impressive.
That's the normal appearance for Drosophyllum. The cotyledons rarely emerge from the seed coat, the plant just grows around it.
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:
slinx wrote:It already started a side shoot before its cotyledons got out of the seed, that's pretty impressive.
That's the normal appearance for Drosophyllum. The cotyledons rarely emerge from the seed coat, the plant just grows around it.
cool!

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!