FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Shes Crofty
I don't know much about spiders but my fiance showed this to me this morning, I thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share.
Species: Caerostris darwini
Habitat: Madagascar, alarming arachnophobes and mayflies in equal measure

The spider attaches a line of silk to the tree branch she is standing on, by the side of a river, and bungee-jumps into space. Dangling in mid-air, she begins spewing out silk. And more silk. And still more silk.

Eventually she has released more than 25 metres of continuous strands, which drift away downwind, across the river. Suddenly she stops, and begins reeling the line back in. It pulls taut. Success! The other end has tangled itself in a bush on the far bank.

This is the first step in the construction of the world's biggest spider web, which will hang above a tropical river. Perched in the centre of her vast web, the Darwin's bark spider can feast on huge numbers of insects after they emerge from the water.
Video of spider building web and more info here:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... world.html

Shes Crofty, Shes Crofty, Shes Crofty and 1 others liked this
By SEB
This is amazing! I love orb weavers. Its amazing that they are all born with advanced geometry already encoded into their DNA. The ones from Madagascar are especially huge for some reason.

I have couple of specimens that also make huge webs but no where near as big as this.

Thanks for sharing!

Edit:

I don't have Caerostris darwini. I have a few female Araneus diadematus. They are in the family of spiders known as orb weavers (Araneidae). I am going to assume that this species will be put into this family considering its anatomy and behavior, but I may be wrong. Awesome spider regardless!
By Shes Crofty
SEB wrote:This is amazing! I love orb weavers. Its amazing that they are all born with advanced geometry already encoded into their DNA. The ones from Madagascar are especially huge for some reason.

I have couple of specimens that also make huge webs but no where near as big as this.

Thanks for sharing!

Edit:

I don't have Caerostris darwini. I have a few female Araneus diadematus. They are in the family of spiders known as orb weavers (Araneidae). I am going to assume that this species will be put into this family considering its anatomy and behavior, but I may be wrong. Awesome spider regardless!
It's SO weird how that spider just started.. to build that, all on it's own.

According to google we have Araneus diadematus here in Washington. They look extremely similar to this spider I am constantly seeing around here, and they make huge webs! The biggest web I have ever seen in my life was here in WA made by one of these; the web went from the roof of our split level house all the way down to the grass below in the yard, and used our back deck and side of the house to connect the web.. kinda hard to explain so I whipped up a pic on MS Paint real quick.

It was amazing, but unfortunately didn't last long because we can get some pretty harsh winds and rain. Constantly seeing little spider-ling balls too.. those are so weird. Never seen one until I moved to Washington. I'm originally from California, so I'm use to only seeing common traveling spiders and daddy long legs.

There is this one spider that I saw on a show on Animal Planet once called Monster Bug Wars.. pretty cool show, just basically shows two bugs duking it out in the wild, with funny monster/godzilla sound effects. Anywho, the spider is a genus called Portia and their hunting behavior is what makes them insanely awesome.
Portias often hunt in ways that seem intelligent. Their favorite prey appears to be web-building spiders between 10% and 200% of the Portia’s size. Portias look rather like leaf detritus caught in a web, and this is often enough to fool web-building spiders, which have poor eyesight. When stalking web-building spiders, Portias try to make different patterns of vibrations in the web that aggressively mimic the struggle of a trapped insect or the courtship signals of a male spider, repeating any pattern that induces the intended prey to move towards the Portia. Portia fimbriata has been observed to perform vibratory behavior for three days until the victim decided to investigate. They time invasions of webs to coincide with light breezes that blur the vibrations their approach causes in the target's web; and they back off if the intended victim responds belligerently. Portias that retreat may approach along an overhanging twig or rock, descend down a silk thread and kill the prey. Other jumping spiders take detours, but Portia is unusual in its readiness to use long detours that break visual contact.

Laboratory studies show that Portia learns very quickly how to overcome web-building spiders that neither it nor its evolutionary ancestors would have met in the wild. Portia’s accurate visual recognition of potential prey is an important part of its hunting tactics. For example in one part of the Philippines local Portia spiders attack from the rear against the very dangerous spitting spiders, which themselves hunt jumping spiders. This appears to be an instinctive behavior, as laboratory-reared Portias of this species do this the first time they encounter a spitting spider. On the other hand they will use a head-on approach against spitting spiders that are carrying eggs. However, experiments that pitted Portias against "convincing" artificial spiders with arbitrary but consistent behavior patterns showed that Portia’s instinctive tactics are only starting points for a trial-and-error approach from which these spiders learn very quickly.
got all this from wikipedia

It's hard for me to believe this is actually a spider, and not some alien in a spider suit.

Edit: I love orb weavers, they had quite a collection of them last time I was at the California Academy of Sciences in SF. They keep them in this 4 story indoor rain forest.. ugh it's so cool. There are just birds flying around and poison dart frogs out in the open.. I have to share some pictures :)

It was really busy last I was there so I only managed to get this one

Don't mind me in the picture.. lol it was the only good picture I could find of the 4 story indoor rain forest, I'm almost at the very top. The very top is actually right behind me in the upper left corner. Once you get to the top, they make you take an elevator all the way down to the bottom floor of the museum, which is the aquarium, and you go through the water and are basically in an underwater elevator for a few minutes.

Don't let the jacket fool you, it was extremely hot and humid lol.
By SEB
WOW! that is so awesome! I want to go there!

That orb weaver is called a golden silk spider (Nephila clavipes). It is interesting that it would be there because they really only live in Florida and Georgia. They must have introduced it on purpose into their little indoor jungle.
By Shes Crofty
SEB wrote:WOW! that is so awesome! I want to go there!

That orb weaver is called a golden silk spider (Nephila clavipes). It is interesting that it would be there because they really only live in Florida and Georgia. They must have introduced it on purpose into their little indoor jungle.
It's a really cool place.. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as an adult, since the majority of my memories there are as a kid, but it's still just as awesome. The spiders in the indoor rain forest aren't out in the open, but have these huge glass enclosures to showcase their web building skills. That's hilarious they are native to Florida and Georgia.. but are in the rain forest section of the museum.. :lol;

& thanks for identifying it! I have been trying to find out what it was since I forgot to photograph the "sign" that displays information about it.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!