FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By swerfer
I have planted some Darlingtonia clones in a large green Sphagnum bog last year’s summer. My first experience with Darlingtonia californica. They have survived the winter and have now put up two flowers. Because grown outside through the year plant growth starts late spring. Whereas the green Sphagnum grows like weed. I have heard Darlingtonia will put up new long first pitchers. The old pitchers are starting to overgrow by Sphagnum.

This is my dilemma, will the plant put up new pitchers when Sphagnum is chocking/overgrowing the plants? Should I be concerned and cut down the Sphagnum? Or should I let it all be, and expect normal new pitcher growth peaking through the Sphagnum? For cooling roots Large grow of fresh Sphagnum is ideal. My Preference is letting it all be. What do you think?

Regards,

Youri
Sphagnum bog
Sphagnum bog
IMG_5942.jpg (824.5 KiB) Viewed 5683 times
IMG_5943.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg (883.64 KiB) Viewed 5683 times
IMG_5928.jpg
IMG_5928.jpg (467.8 KiB) Viewed 5683 times
By swerfer
I finally made up my mind and decided to give my Sphagnum bog a haircut.
I already saw the first pitcher growth of this year peaking through the chocking Sphagnum bed, but the Sphagnum grows like crazy.
I patted down most of the Sphagnum and cut it where necessary. Also found some stolons to my surprise.
This new setting will probably be beneficial to the Darlingtonia. What do you think?

the results:
Before picture
Before picture
IMG_6233.jpg (474.76 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
chocking Sphagnum
chocking Sphagnum
IMG_6237.jpg (559.98 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
stolon growth
stolon growth
IMG_6242.jpg (484.82 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
patted down Sphagnum
patted down Sphagnum
IMG_6246.jpg (618.04 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
IMG_6250.jpg
IMG_6250.jpg (602.83 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
final result
final result
IMG_6249.jpg (594.87 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
overall view
overall view
IMG_6248.jpg (375.31 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
By Eric
Looks fantastic!
By Wikiwakawakawee
How do you keep it so wet? Or well how did you set up your bog container?
By LAKJP
I thought Darlingtonia Californica did not like standing in water...
How tall are they (excluding the flower stalks)?
It's a great bog! I wish I had that much live sphagnum moss 8-)
By bannister
I'm going to grow these from seeds/possibly buy one online if I can find a good price.

Do you have any tip highlights as to your secrets to taking care of them? I've read about general care for them, but would like advice from someone that has actually grown it.
By mnwatson1
bannister wrote:I'm going to grow these from seeds/possibly buy one online if I can find a good price.

Do you have any tip highlights as to your secrets to taking care of them? I've read about general care for them, but would like advice from someone that has actually grown it.
. They are EXTREMELY slow growers! I've got some seedlings right now, and they really won't get much bigger this growing season if they're like the ones I tried last year. Seedlings are also much less tolerant of heat due to the small root system!

Love the bog! I so want another adult Darlingtonia, I thought I'd be smart over the winter and keep it in my bedroom window instead of with my other plants. -.-;; Bad idea, forgot to water too many times and lost it. *sigh*

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
By Matt
LAKJP wrote:I thought Darlingtonia Californica did not like standing in water...
I've not had much luck with them in cultivation, so I can't say how best to grow them, but I have seen them numerous times in the wild and their roots are always in water. But the water is usually running, often times very quickly, so it's not "standing" water.
Matt liked this
By LAKJP
Matt wrote:
LAKJP wrote:I thought Darlingtonia Californica did not like standing in water...
I've not had much luck with them in cultivation, so I can't say how best to grow them, but I have seen them numerous times in the wild and their roots are always in water. But the water is usually running, often times very quickly, so it's not "standing" water.
I know that already, but I just remembered someone who told me that if the plant stands in undisturbed water, the roots might rot.
By SFLguy
Some plants do well in submerged conditions some don't, in fact many cps grow partially submerged in their habitats like d. Intermedia etc

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
By swerfer
Let me clarify a couple of questions. I started cultivating Darlingtonia last year, so I am no expert in growing this species.
I have experience in Sphagnum growing and I wanted to combine the two.
IMG_6256.jpg
IMG_6256.jpg (465.94 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
IMG_6255.jpg
IMG_6255.jpg (486.04 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
IMG_6265.jpg
IMG_6265.jpg (685.81 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
IMG_6266.jpg
IMG_6266.jpg (648.69 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
As for the bog setup, it’s a large tub with no drainage holes.
There is a water reservoir on the bottom, connected to a PVC pipe. To keep the Sphagnum fresh, occasional flooding is necessary.
The water you see in the pictures is only there to help patting down the Sphagnum. After all was done, I siphoned the water out through the PVC pipe.
To combine Sphagnum growing with Darlingtonia you have to find equilibrium between flooding and draining water.
As you would with running water, stagnant water must be siphoned out and fresh water must come in through rain or watering.

If you do your thorough research you can see a slight difference in growing experience in the US and Europe. You will find more horror stories in the US keeping them alive.
Probably due to the temperate climate in Europe. They say the roots cannot tolerate heat in summer.

This year I will be experimenting with growing Darlingtonia in full sun. It is still in progress, but when the time is right pictures and experience will be posted.

Advice on keeping them alive, as mentioned above, this will be my second year so only time will tell…
swerfer, swerfer liked this
By Wikiwakawakawee
Do you re-use the siphoned out water? Or do you have to get some more water to flood it?
Oh and where do you keep your sphagnum bogs? (location, temperatures, humidity?)
By LorrieD153
In high school I grew up where Darlingtonia grow wild and had not thought to grow them as potted plants. I had been tought that they grew in shale bogs. It is very interesting to see such small ones growing in pots. There is a place between Grants Pass, Oregon and Crescent City, California on highway 199, where you can see them growing in the wild. It is marked on the road as you are driving as a botanical wayside. I think it is about 30 miles out from Crescent City, near Gasquet. Another place to see them is on highway 101north of Brookings, Oregon, near Port Orford, I think. It has been a while since I have been up that way. The area where my mom and dad's house is, was called Darlingtonia when we moved in in 1967. Good luck with your project!!
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!