FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By marvin1997
Checked my Vfts today and saw OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They've got black spots everywhere. :cry: :evil: Even the sarr that was sitting on they didn't escape it.Can somebody help?! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
By Veronis
Photos would help - black spots could be a lot of things.

1. Are they tiny little black spots everywhere like pin pricks, or are the traps turning black/brown in larger patches (which is normal for plants going dormant)? This is the most important question.

2. Are the plants all outside or indoors? Did you move them recently?

Take a look very closely at the plants and see if you can spot any tiny moving critters. A strong magnifying glass or photos with a camera in macro mode might help.

Read this thread, especially the last post - it may help: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=3&t=3026

If it does turn out to be something like spider mites, other pest, or fungus for that matter - NEEM IT: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Light-Organ ... 000GXQMQC/

You can get Neem Oil from Wal-Mart. Lowe's, Home Depot, and plant nurseries likely also carry it. If all else fails, just order it from Amazon.

I know the Green Light brand is good because other CP growers have used the stuff successfully.
By marvin1997
I don't think we have neem oil here in malaysia... :cry:
Attachments:
009.JPG
009.JPG (54.97 KiB) Viewed 7618 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (68.74 KiB) Viewed 7618 times
007.JPG
007.JPG (72.31 KiB) Viewed 7618 times
004.JPG
004.JPG (78.31 KiB) Viewed 7618 times
By Steve_D
To me it looks like it might be fungal infections. (Others may disagree.) If it is fungal, use a fungicide to control it immediately of course, but in the long run, it would be healthier for the Flytraps not to keep them too moist or wet, especially when it is hot or cold and there is little air movement, if you happen to be keeping them fairly wet now. Drier conditions can help keep funguses from getting a foothold, so to speak.

Good luck and let everyone know what you find out, what you do, and give a progress report with photos if you can. :)
By Veronis
I can't tell for sure either, it just looks like dry patches on the leaves. Unless someone tells you with certainty otherwise, I'd go with what Steve said, and use a sulphur based fungicide, not copper based..

For pot/soil, be sure it has drainage holes and sit it a 1" water tray; only re-water when the tray goes dry, but before the soil goes dry. Keeping it too wet promotes fungus and mold growth.
By goldslinger
Is it just Me or is there little tiny white spots in each of the black area and in the crown pic; all over!

Something might be sucking juice from the plant; whiteflys maybe?

The last pic is very telltale.
By Caleboy 123
Looks like fungus to me....

Just to be safe, I would use a sulfur based fungicide on the leaves.
By moof
I'll agree with Steve. I had a similar problem, the fungicide solved it
By Timmy
People have answered your questions, but use a light colored pot and not a clear or dark colored cup/pot. :P

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!