FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By pieguy452
I recently purchased the fungicide Daconil, and it was recommended by people on the forums. I was spraying my plants when i noticed that some of the fungicide was seeping into the soil down to the roots of my plants, and some to the rhizome. Could this harm my plants at all?
By Steve_D
Because Daconil is a fungicide and a fungicide is an herbicide, too much of it can damage a plant, but at a recommended dosage and not sprayed too frequently (my fungicide is 30% chlorothalonil (70% inert ingredients) and I use 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon diluted into 1 gallon of water) I haven't noticed any damage the plant or the roots.
Steve_D liked this
By saltyop
hello, I realize this is old old old and not really expecting an answer but the spray version of daconil I have is .09 percent clorothanoli. is that allright to use or is that too much for a venus flytrap? I have a seed that developed some fungus and I was wondering if i could use it and spray it.
By hsmiller4849
I have to correct a comment here. Darconil is a fungicide.
A fungicide is a fungicide and not a herbicide. This is two different products with different actions.
A herbicide (example, roundup) is formulated to kill vegetation by interrupting the photosynthesis
process to which the plant produces carbohydrates. Sun acting upon the Chlorophyll. Most all herbicides do this to kill vegetation.
Fungicides are totally different. Fungus and molds which fungicides act upon are different creatures and do not produce chlorophyll. Thus when you spray a fungicide upon vegetation, it does not kill the vegetation but acts upon the fungus that is disrupting the growth of a plant cell. These fungus organisms reproduce by spores.
Sure, some plants can be sensitive to fungicides and overdosing can do harm but overall not destructive as something like a herbicide which is developed to kill green plants.
Apollyon, MikeB liked this
By Apollyon
Also want to say that Daconil is indeed safe for VFTs. I've used it in situations where I didn't want to waterlog my pots with Scott's Disease EX. IIRC it was recommended by Matt back when and have used it on flytraps, cephalotus, and d. regia. Only thing about it is the sprayer often sucks and in my experience it really works well only when it comes in direct contact with the mold so spraying blind isn't really the way to go.
MikeB liked this

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!