FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By pieguy159
I just got my D. Regia and I have a few questions I couldn't find answers to on any websites. I hope someone can answer some of these questions!

1) Dormancy required? Recommended?

2) Can I repot it in 1:1 peat moss and perlite?

3) Really looking for the answer to this one: Water. Standing tray water or just water it on the top? How much water? If I should stand the pot on tray water, should I maintain the water level at 2cm or should I refill it when it dries out?

Background info: D. Regia is a tropical sundew from South Africa. It's leaves can reach 2ft if given the right conditions. D. Regia CAN go into dormancy. D. Regia can easily be propagated via root cuttings.

By Arizona Flytrap
Hello, the plant can go into dormancy if constant cold temps persist. But, being where you live I would keep it in your home. Give it ALL the direct sun you can and supplement with strong artificial light as well. Peat moss perlite is fine but go some extra on the perlite. They like airy soil. I grow mine in Arizona in long fiber sphagnum moss and pumas. As for water you can leave a small amount in the tray as long as it's' getting allot of light. Light is the main deal with these guys. I top water mine and I have a baby Regia in my home now that I leave a small amount of water in its tray. When you start to warm up next season with lows in the 40's put it outside in a full sun location 6 plus hours direct light. Hope I helped you.

Jason
By Sander
Well, all i want to say to supplement jason is i grow mine in 50/50 peat/perlite.
But be carefull for elavated temperatures, they can die because of that!
By Arizona Flytrap
Yes sanders is correct, I forgot to mention the ones I have outside are in a 12 inch pot sitting in another pot to shield the sides from the sun. Not a big deal now but in summer oh ya!
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!