FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By UnbracingCube
Based on "Water propagation" by Veronis, an excellent guide!
I tried three varieties, D. binata, D. marston dragon, and (I believe) D. capensis. Pretty excited, I have growth in all three containers! Just moved them to pots yesterday, with a bag to help them adjust to life on dry land :)
Attachments:
20170325_095216.jpg
20170325_095216.jpg (790.68 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
By KategoricalKarnivore
Hungry Plants wrote:Did you just drop the seed into a glass of water and let them have at it?
Those look like leaf pullings. The plantlets are growing off of leaves pulled from an adult plant.
By Hungry Plants
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:
Hungry Plants wrote:Did you just drop the seed into a glass of water and let them have at it?
Those look like leaf pullings. The plantlets are growing off of leaves pulled from an adult plant.

Oh I see. I've just been looking for a better way to do seeds. Other than drop them in a pot and cross my fingers.
By UnbracingCube
Hungry Plants wrote:
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:

Oh I see. I've just been looking for a better way to do seeds. Other than drop them in a pot and cross my fingers.
I tried a few methods of cold stratification and one involves placing the seeds on a wet paper towel. Well, when it came time to plant the seeds I couldn't get them off the paper towel. So I left the wet paper towel and seeds in the bag (propped up the middle with a piece of kabab stick) under a grow light. The seeds (D capensis I think) sprouted on the paper towel and once they were big enough I touched them with the side of my tweezers and they stuck, so I moved them to the soil. They actually came up much more successfully on the paper towel than stratifying them in water and putting them on soil (for me at least). It was nice because I was able to see the growth really easily. I saw someone on facebook that was starting seeds in straight pearlite. I believe he rinsed it then baked it or something first to kill anything that might have come along for the ride, he said it made it easier to transplant and really easy to see the growth.
This is my first year with seeds or water propagation and I am learning a lot!
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!