FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Orit
Does anyone have tips for sowing D Filiformis Florida Red that is different from how you would treat D capensis (surface planting, humidity dome, etc)?

With my D Capensis seeds, hundreds germinated, but what I believe to be slime mold/algae killed them after several weeks. I have included a picture for confirmation.

All were sowed in 100% LFSM from FTS, which does not require rinsing. I was going to plant the D filiformis in the other FTS potting mix (sphagnum peat moss, pure 12-grit silica sand, and perlite), which has been sitting outside in a pot for months. i am hoping the rain over that time has sufficiently rinsed the media, but was going to check the runoff with my TDS meter. What number should i aim for to avoid algae? Is there anything else I can do to prevent or kill the algae? I'm afraid there is way too much in the pictured pot to just scrape it off and I'll probably have to trash the whole thing. The density of seedlings that used to be there also prevented any spot treatment until they died and it was too late anyway.

I appreciate your input - thanks in advance!
Attachments:
20170927_171148.jpg
20170927_171148.jpg (481.37 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
By Orit
I realize my post may be kind of wordy so let me simplify my questions

1) does anyone have tips for growing d filiformis from seed?

2) how can i prevent slime mold/algae? i keep reading to rinse the media really well but I thought this LFSM was already free of minerals/nutrients?
By KategoricalKarnivore
1: Just like any other Drosera. Sow on top of moist soil. Keep humidity high and warm temps.
2:The LFS from this site still needs to be rinsed. Rinse it and check the runoff. I usually rinse until it is under 15 PPM. You can boil it, microwave it, or bake it in the oven to sterilize it and that will help keep down mold/algae.
By Orit
Ah, thank you so much! I emailed FTS when i bought it and they said no rinsing required, but I suppose the mineral level could be too low to harm established plants but still enough to support algae. I will follow the steps you suggested. I've lost so many babies already I don't want to lose any more.

Can I also boil/bake/microwave the FTS potting mix?

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!