FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Bristol
You should be fine. Normally New Zealand and Orchid Moss (Moss you have to soak in water to hydrate) you don't need to mix anything. I've use Orchid Moss and live Sphagnum Moss successfully to bring back flytraps that were planted in crappy peat. I cannot use it outside here in SoCal because it has a potential to dry-out quickly, plus if there's not adequate humidity, the stuff burns-out at the top....Using Orchid moss "OUTDOORS" in smaller 3-inch uninsulated pots was disastrous resulting in dead plants. The pot, and the moss heat-up to outside temps and the plants get cooked. If your location have high degree temps try using deep pots...

I would time your watering, using Orchid moss and live sphagnum moss could get water-logged at times which is not preferred by flytraps and could result in "Black Spot Fungus". Provide adequate drainage in your pots. On normal days here in SoCal temps could range from 70 to 80 degrees, in which I will let the soil surface dry just a little then I top water. Adjusting my watering methods to conform to the information posted on this website has proven great results and healthier plants annually.
By shrnz
There is not so hot in Lithuania like in SoCal. And I don't see threat for VFT's to dry out.
So I'm thinking which soil is better all in all?
It's easier to replant, cleaner and you don't need to buy single soil components, when you're using Sphagnum Moss.
By katya_dog1
LFS is the best. I say that from an experiment Matt did, I plan to do one myself this year to see how they compare. My sphagnum dries out REALLY fast outside a greenhouse, I literally have to put them in a tray of water in the morning and take them out at night, and they will be moist in the morning.
By Matt
katya_dog1 wrote:LFS is the best. I say that from an experiment Matt did
I've done several now and flytraps growing in high quality LFS consistently grow faster than those growing in peat-based mixes. I hesitate to say LFS is the best, but it certainly can deliver better results for us if the plants are well cared for.
By Bristol
I need a green house.........Is better Grow Orchid Moss and New Zealand Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss the same just different vendor?
By Bristol
VFT Row awakens, 2015 season..............
Attachments:
VFT TYP
VFT TYP
IMG_0863 sm.jpg (606.09 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VFT TYP
VFT TYP
IMG_0862 sm.jpg (594.83 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VFT TYP
VFT TYP
IMG_0864 sm.jpg (564.05 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VFT Dente's
VFT Dente's
IMG_0865 sm.jpg (568.87 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VFT B52's
VFT B52's
IMG_0867 sm.jpg (535.1 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VFT B52
VFT B52
IMG_0868 sm.jpg (679.29 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VFT - TYP
VFT - TYP
IMG_0881 sm.jpg (582.21 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VFT Royal Red
VFT Royal Red
IMG_0875 sm.jpg (638.39 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VFT Akai Ryu
VFT Akai Ryu
IMG_0876 sm.jpg (536.39 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
VFT Row..........2015
VFT Row..........2015
IMG_0886 sm.jpg (620.61 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
Bristol, Bristol liked this
By katya_dog1
You have a CP farm! Great looking plants!
By Bristol
Thank you everyone for the nice comments...................

The purpose of posting these photos is to show how the plants appear before clustering and competing for bites.....The next photo post will show them at their "clustered prime" before spring leaves start dying back for the summer sets. My VFTs are ugly during that time though some leaves are huge, appearance is not clean....I hope they do get to that prime point like last year's photos... We've had several Santa Ana Winds that destroyed many pitcher leaves as shown in the photo below. The plants need to munch so I have to let some of the leaves grow ugly. This happens yearly, sometimes hit and miss, other times its fantastic when all the plants grow neat and even...That's all I could do growing these plants in zone 10.

CA Governor Brown issued a mandatory 25% water conservatory executive action.....its already tight as it is. I wonder how it is going to pan out....LA has already mentioned about releasing the Water-COPS looking to police lawn watering over-runs and enforce conversation. Sometimes Chopper-COP hovers over checking out my set which really reminds me of living in the LBC. But I doubt chopper is there to police and enforce water conservation. That COP is looking for something else. I have successfully executed some conservation rules which has help out significantly on the bill, even though I have the plants................I hope it stays that way even with Gov. Browns orders.
Attachments:
Example: Busted pitcher as result of dry heat....
Example: Busted pitcher as result of dry heat....
IMG_0911.JPG (190.77 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
By KissMegan
I heard about the new water conservation on people and everything. I don't use much water but I think it's silly that the law is on us rather than people with cow farms who are using so much water. I just saw this video too of some rivers and dams here in California in 2011 and in 2014. It's amazing how much water we've lost. I just personally wouldn't put the brunt of our loss on average people.
KissMegan liked this
By Bristol
Yeah I hear you kissmeagan, but cow farms and CA farms in general are all apart of CA commerce which is what the Gov Brown needs to back-up if he wants them to farm here in CA rather than other states. Its gonna be tough and if it gets really bad, then the only thing to do is either cut back or cough-up...........gonna be expensive to operate.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!