FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By coffeenflowers
What the best source for good quality long fiber sphagnum at a good price? I like the Besgrow stuff but not the Mosser Lee. I'm wondering where everyone else gets sphagnum moss. There are a few sellers on eBay but a lot of that looks to be Chilean sphagnum moss. I've never used it personally so I'd rather see if someone else can vouch for the quality before deciding to buy a bale.

I also saw this http://www.topiaryartworks.com/spmo22lbslab.html posted on an orchid board but again, I'm not sure how good it is.

I'm looking to buy a bale that is at least 40L compressed.
By Smooter80
I'm not sure there is cheap, high quality LFSM. I once tried a 28 pound bale like that and threw it all away. It weighted that much because it had about 10 lbs of dirt, weeds and roots in it. It was impossible to clean, had an extremely high TDS, turned to mush when wet and was little strands of random moss types. It was completly unusable for CPs.

I suspect all commercial grades would be similar but I only have the one experience. Spend a few $$ more and get a quality LFSM.

For $100 you can get 240L of Spagmoss. If you don't want to spend that much, there are smaller bales.
By nimbulan
I've heard bad things about the bales like you linked too. The best price I'm aware of for high quality moss is to search for Spagmoss brand on eBay and buy the biggest bale you can find. Ideally in the future you can grow your own, but it can take up a lot of space.
By boarderlib
Cheap and quality very rarely overlap. Keep that in mind when shopping for supplies.

Spagmoss is quality stuff, so is FTS. Those are the only two I buy. Stay away from Lee Mosser LFSM, it's garbage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!