FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By idog24
Hey guys, I live in zone 6B and I would like to try growing pitcher plants again this summer. I have successfully grown flytraps here for many years but dormancy had killed my Judith Hindle the one year I tried to grow sarrs. I winter my flytraps in the garage to keep the temperatures above freezing (for the most part). Would I be able to winter sarrs in the garage too or should I try them outside again. Temperatures here range from -5F to 0F. I cut off all the pitchers and I put leaves over them last time I tried wintering them outside. Maybe this time I could leave the pitchers on until early spring and put leaves in the pot. Also last time in dormancy I didn't give it water. Maybe it didn't get enough water and that killed it. If someone could tell me the best way to winter them in my zone that would be awesome!
By Bhart90
Man I'm right there with you!

But 130 miles south haha, Flint Michigan.

I'm worried, I got a bog pot I made last year, like 50 gallon. I too, have a Judith hindle, many plants. Yours coming out yet?
By idog24
Unfortunately my Judith Hindle died in dormancy last year so I only have my flytraps right now. But they're still dormant! I'm expecting them to come out of dormancy in late March!
By Bhart90
SerMuncherIV wrote:I live in zone 6B in NJ and overwinter all of my temperate plants outdoors under thick pine needle mulch.

How much is thick?

And what size pots you use munch?
By SerMuncherIV
6-18 inches depending on how much protection I think the plant needs (thicker mulch for more cold-sensitive species). I protect all of the pots regardless of how large they are - in my hardiness zone people still recommend protecting the plants even if they are in a bog garden in the ground.
By boarderlib
If you live in a grow zone that gets colder than grow zone 7, you will need to protect your plants during the winter.

I live in grow zone 5. I've never mulched, but I would trust in what SerMuncherIV says. My Purp's and cobras and rotundifolia spent the winter in a garage this year and did fine. I also used the fridge for fly traps, and upright Sarrs. Also another effective dormancy solution.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!