FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mufasa
so, my question is, is there something special about betta fish food in particular, as opposed to say, goldfish food, or just generic fish food pellets that makes it suitable for feeding to sundews?

i have a bunch of generic fish food balls i'd like to use... it's not for bettas, but that's all i hear when i search for how to feed sundews "use betta food, i use betta, betta betta betta"
By nimbulan
I think it's just a bit easier to feed to sundews than other types of fish food. Being made mostly out of fish, it's not really ideal nutrition but it does the job. I would think that as long as your fish food has a similar composition - isn't primarily plant-based - it should be fine.
By Mufasa
Benurmanii wrote:I think it is just because one person used it, and so everyone else tagged along as it is the "safest" food. People are too afraid to experiment (but perhaps for good reason, experiment on your capensis if you must).
eh well i just put it on some regia, adelae , capensis, and drosophyllum.. so we'll see what happens... safety is boring
By Benurmanii
Mufasa wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:I think it is just because one person used it, and so everyone else tagged along as it is the "safest" food. People are too afraid to experiment (but perhaps for good reason, experiment on your capensis if you must).
eh well i just put it on some regia, adelae , capensis, and drosophyllum.. so we'll see what happens... safety is boring
Hey man, worst case scenario is you loose a leaf. Be sure to tell us how it turns out.
By Mufasa
i picked a drosophyllum that was similar sized to another one next to it, so i can compare the growth between the two... only fertilizing one for now, if it works well, i'll use it on the other 20 lol
By LuminousAphid
I use food I just use in my fish tanks so far; it's called Hikari micro wafers, and they are too big for seedlings or small sundews but capensis eats them like candy and they seem to promote growth. It's made mainly of fish meal.

I tried feeding an actual fish to my capensis once (a guppy fry) but it didn't like that, and molded the leaf. I would not suggest it.
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!