FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Flamincookie
allenc666 wrote:Yes, you can. If it get's too cold for a long period (from 32 and blow) you could cover them with some black trap or plastic, than when temps go back up than you can uncover them.
Okay, thanks

The temperature here in Houston hardly gets under 60, and rarely under 50 (The coldest months just passed/ are passing by).
By Matt
It's not really mandatory to have temps below 50°F either. Plants that go dormant cue much more on shortened days because that's something that doesn't vary year to year, whereas temperature can. I just heard this fact on NPR yesterday and it's something that I had previously noticed too.
By lemonlily
What if they're covered? How would they know anything?
By 95slvrZ28
From what I've read most plants go dormant based on the amount of light they get. Same thing goes for basic sod (like blue-grass). Thus the reason here in CO we can have a perfectly green lawn with a foot of snow on top in April.
Lily: if you have them covered for extended periods of time it would affect the plants (duh, no light right?), but covering them for short amounts of time when the temperature is too low is not going to confuse it.
By lemonlily
Oh, okay. I was just worried about the plants that are out in the snow. (Not mine.) How about the ones that are covered in snow? They won't "see" anything!
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!