FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Starchy
beckhamlim24 wrote:Cool. How big is the drosera?
About the size of a quarter.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
By coline
One of mine also died for no reason while starting to flower, the first stalk completed its seed production, but the second did not end the growth.

Even so, from nowhere, I have 2 more burmanii plants in other pots!! I really do not understand how that happened, I've hade burmanii seeds only one in my life and they were sowed in november!
By Starchy
akinkysnorlax wrote:are you still having some difficulties figuring out what is wrong with the other burmanniis?
I have no clue what caused it. 4 out of 6 started to die in weird fashion. 2 of the 4 inflicted put up flower stalks, but completely halted growth after a couple days. Of the 2 remaining healthy ones, 1 put up a flower stalk tbat is growing rapidly (I'll post photos later). I am now feeding the heck out of the flowering plant (feeding 1-2 spiders that are the size of the leaves, plus 4-6 fruit flies daily).
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
By Starchy
Neither can I. As long as the healthy plant produces seed, I will be fine. Adult burmannii really need more than fruit flies. I would have to give like 4 fruit flies per leaf to accommodate its needs.
By Tony C
D. burmannii is an annual, it is typical for them to die after flowering. They can live longer if the flower stalks are cut before blooming, or may even survive blooming if they are very well grown and fed but your best bet is to save seed and start them as needed to replace old plants.
By Starchy
Tony C wrote:D. burmannii is an annual, it is typical for them to die after flowering. They can live longer if the flower stalks are cut before blooming, or may even survive blooming if they are very well grown and fed but your best bet is to save seed and start them as needed to replace old plants.
I have read that these plants can live for years if you really feed them while they are flowering. Obviously something went wrong on this run, but if I get seed, I will try again. I really want to successfully grow burmannii as a perennial
By coline
This is my source that makes me think they live for several years:
http://icps.proboards.com/thread/5990/help

For now, I have not had the complete assurance of it since one of mine already died, but, just have a look.
By Starchy
hmm, upon reading that thread, maybe it would be better if I cut the flower stalks of the less healthy burmannii and see if they recuperate...
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!