FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By flesh-cladmonster
I bought a single Dionaea Muscipula and became obsessed with carnivorous plants. I named him Peter and I decided to create a terrarium for him to grow in. Unfortunately he died thanks to my stupidity and forgetfulness. So I bought three new plants, which you can see in my grow list (http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=15&t=95), who I am now going to plant in the terrarium.

I bought four varieties of rocks to place in my old fish tank as well as some Spanish moss for decor. I can't seem to find the right kind of soil anywhere. I bought a bag of Miracle Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss, but it turns out that it has fertilizer in it. As does everything Miracle Gro churns out. My intentions were to mix up the different types of rocks that I bought and pour them in the bottom of the tank then pour water over the rocks and add the peat moss and transplant my new babies. I don't know if what I planned is right or if it is a good idea or anything. Feedback would be nice.
By linton
I have used sphagnum moss in my terrarium with a layer of charcoal at the bottom both for drainage and to keep the moss 'sweet', some of the moss has started to grow amongst the plants and all six venus fly traps are doing nicely. Some growers like to mix the moss with washed river sand to improve drainage as the moss can hold a lot of water. And about the water thing....I have found that rainwater or distilled water is best as our water supply (in Adelaide, South Australia) carries a lot of dissolved minerals in it. When the water eventually evaporates from the terrarium, it leaves behind the minerals which can form a salt like crust and eventually this buildup will kill your plants. Check out the website http://www.triffidpark.com.au for grownotes / soil recommendations.

Cheers,
Linton
By Matt
I've never made a terrarium with plants actually planted in soil that is put directly into the terrarium, so I can't be of much advice here. I've only kept the plants in their individual pots and then placed them in the terrarium.

I think Lintion gave you very good feedback, and I don't see why what you have planned already wouldn't work. Best of luck!
By flesh-cladmonster
linton wrote:I have used sphagnum moss in my terrarium with a layer of charcoal at the bottom both for drainage and to keep the moss 'sweet', some of the moss has started to grow amongst the plants and all six venus fly traps are doing nicely. Some growers like to mix the moss with washed river sand to improve drainage as the moss can hold a lot of water. And about the water thing....I have found that rainwater or distilled water is best as our water supply (in Adelaide, South Australia) carries a lot of dissolved minerals in it. When the water eventually evaporates from the terrarium, it leaves behind the minerals which can form a salt like crust and eventually this buildup will kill your plants. Check out the website http://www.triffidpark.com.au for grownotes / soil recommendations.

Cheers,
Linton
Very helpful. Thank you so much. :D

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!