FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
I would like to get some live long fibered sphagnum to grow Darlingtonia in, but do not know where to get the best stuff from. I have gotten some from a seller on eBay, but it was really crooked, and want to get some that grows straight up. And grows really compact and fluffy. Is live sphagnum even a good media? I've seen people growing Darlings in it but do not know if it's better than peat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By steve booth
As peat is dead Sphagnum it would tend to indicate that whatever grows in peat would normally be growing in or through a live Sphagnum layer, so yes it is at least as good as peat, plus it produces hydrogen ions so maintains its acidity.
As for the best stuff, there are about 380 species so a little research might be necessary, but then you probably wont find it for sale as named species. Generally any long fibre Sphagnum is good enough
Cheers
Steve
By boarderlib
Check with MEP for a source. I believe Phil carries live moss now. I got some from him last spring.

I can't say which media is better yet, but I will say that my 1 year old babies that I sprouted from stolon are doing very well in live moss.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Sakaaaaa
You can get live sphagnum by growing your plants in Long Fiber Sphagnum. If you are lucky and your conditions are good, the great Sphagnum Revival God of Sphagnuqotl will visit and revive your sphag. Make sure not to kill the new live sphagnum!
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!