FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By taylerhill
Hello everyone, I received my vft seeds from Fishman yesterday! Now I'm trying to decide what growing medium to use for them. I'm used the LFSM for my adult plants, but didn't know if something else might be easier or work better for starting seeds. Also this is my first time with seeds so any tips are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
By jcroyle
I am considering water germination for at least half of the ones that I have on the way from the FTS

Sent from Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning"
By taylerhill
jcroyle wrote:I am considering water germination for at least half of the ones that I have on the way from the FTS

Sent from Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning"

I'm trying to decide if I want to try this method too
By cjpflaumer
I started 20 seeds side by side in peat/sand/perlite mix and pure LFS. The seedlings in the LFS have a couple more traps, appear slightly larger and there is one in particular that is twice the size of any other. They both are growing well though otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By taylerhill
cjpflaumer wrote:I started 20 seeds side by side in peat/sand/perlite mix and pure LFS. The seedlings in the LFS have a couple more traps, appear slightly larger and there is one in particular that is twice the size of any other. They both are growing well though otherwise.

Thank you for the info!! That is interesting!
By xr280xr
High quality long fiber sphangum moss, is my preference. Moss like FTS' New Zealand sphagnum, or BetterGro orchid moss that is light colored and fluffy. It can be kept extra humid and doesn't get moldy or slimy. You can chop it up a little first to make it easier to unpack when it's time to transplant.
By Branmuffin
I have also had the best success using chopped LFSM. I HIGHLY suggest you sterilize everything the best you can before starting seeds. Once I started boiling my LFSM I have had no mold issues but before it was quite daunting watching mold ravage a pot of seeds after 2 weeks. Germination chambers for seed are also germination chambers for mold so be as clean as possible.
By taylerhill
Thank you everyone! I think I'm going to use lfsm. I called a local nursery and asked if they carry it and they said they have some but its not labeled long fiber. And they said its nice and green and pretty. I've only seen tan used for planting. Does the color matter? I'm going to go look at it today but wasn't sure if green vs not green mattered.
By xr280xr
Green could either mean live, a colored topper, or algae. Sometimes they sell dead crunchy moss as a decorational topper for plants like orchids (such as mosser lee moss), and sometimes it's artificially colored green. That's no good for growing in.

Good sphagnum moss looks like the picture below but it is light green when it's still alive. For seedlings, you probably don't want to use live sphagnum because it will overgrow them, but you could let it dry out first then use it.

Good moss:
Good Sphagnum.jpg
Good Sphagnum.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
Bad moss:
Bad Moss2.jpg
Bad Moss2.jpg (472.96 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
VFTs will grow in Mosser Lee, but not all that well and it gets slimy and moldy easily which can harm your plants.
VFTs will grow in Mosser Lee, but not all that well and it gets slimy and moldy easily which can harm your plants.
Bad Moss3.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
Last edited by xr280xr on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By taylerhill
xr280xr wrote:Green could either mean live, a colored topper, or algae. Sometimes they sell dead crunchy moss as a decorational topper for plants like orchids (such as mosser lee moss), and sometimes it's artificially colored green. That's no good for growing in.

Good sphagnum moss looks like the picture below but it is light green when it's still alive. For seedlings, you probably don't want to use live sphagnum because it will overgrow them, but you could let it dry out first then use it.

Good moss:
Good Sphagnum.jpg
Bad moss:
Bad Moss2.jpg
Thank you so much! The bad moss you pictured is exactly what they were selling. I'm glad I decided against it. I ended up just ordering some from the FTS since I know it is tried and true and the plants love it. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can start my seeds!
By cjpflaumer
taylerhill wrote:
xr280xr wrote:Green could either mean live, a colored topper, or algae. Sometimes they sell dead crunchy moss as a decorational topper for plants like orchids (such as mosser lee moss), and sometimes it's artificially colored green. That's no good for growing in.

Good moss:
Good Sphagnum.jpg
Bad moss:
Bad Moss2.jpg
Thank you so much! The bad moss you pictured is exactly what they were selling. I'm glad I decided against it. I ended up just ordering some from the FTS since I know it is tried and true and the plants love it. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can start my seeds!
I would recommend chopping it up a little bit. It makes it easier to have a semi flat surface. I have done it both ways and they both work though. I am hoping for the best with your seeds!

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!