FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Vince707
Hi everyone!

I recently became obsessed with sundews after accidently stumbling upon drosera capensis seeds on ebay, and now I am hooked :D

I went a lil crazy and bought a bunch of sundew seeds to grow and so far everything has been going great! I sowed all my seeds over LFSM and I have gotten my D. capensis typical, alba, red, wide-leaf, and narrow leaf seeds to germinate under artificial lights in about two weeks. I also managed to germinate D. burmannii, D. aliciae, D. natalensis, D. tokaiensis and D. spatulata about a week ago, and they're already growing their first carnivorous leaves!! I am also currently waiting on a batch of D. capillaris and D. indica to germinate. Anyways, this is my first time attempting to grow sundews so any tips or tricks to grow sundews would be greatly appreciated :) Looking forward to meeting you guys and growing my plants!
By Shadowtski
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the early success with Sundews. I'm also a Drosera guy so I certainly know their attraction.

Your best bet for continued success is to read all you can about them. Matt, the owner of this forum has a number of articles on growing CP here.

The articles address growing flytraps, but other than dormancy, the rules are the same. The Drosera you grow don't require dormancy. They are all tropical and subtropical.

You can search the forum and probably find answers to most of your questions. Check out the board index, click on a board, and read away.

But the basics are clean, pure water, lots of light, and a CP friendly media mix.

Good growing,
Mike
By Bhart90
Holy hell cowboy! That's a lot of water for jumping in a puddle!

Don't overwhelm yourself!
By Vince707
Bhart90 wrote:Holy hell cowboy! That's a lot of water for jumping in a puddle!

Don't overwhelm yourself!
haha I know, I may have bitten off more than I could chew but hoping for the best!

Thanks for the help everyone! I will be sure to read everything I can get my hands on :)
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!