FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
Does anyone know if it’s possible for cuttings to produce basal shoots? I have a N. Hamata cutting that just started vining from day 1 and is putting out its first upper pitcher, and I’d very much like the typical lowers too.... the only way it’ll happen though is if it produces a basal shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By cpman
As far as I have seen vine cuttings that have the original growthpoint just keep vining and acting like an adult plant which is why I actually prefer cutting lower down, they frequently make more than 1 growth point and throw out lower pitchers instead. Your cutting will probably throw out some basals once its established and the vine is long enough.
By tannerm
cpman wrote:As far as I have seen vine cuttings that have the original growthpoint just keep vining and acting like an adult plant which is why I actually prefer cutting lower down, they frequently make more than 1 growth point and throw out lower pitchers instead. Your cutting will probably throw out some basals once its established and the vine is long enough.
Yeah the vine is already close to a foot and a half long stretched out (from the growth point)... how long until it’s “established”? It’s been growing like a weed since I got it in October 16

By tannerm
Salute flytraps234 wrote:My cutting is from a vine and it produced two basil shoots.

yeah, I know. Yours might be the exception though, not the rule... just really want lower hamata pitchers. Check out the upper now tho (excuse the hue of the LED) Image

By Salute flytraps234
Nice upper but maybe to get it to produce basils the plant may need to struggle a bit, if you want fast basils, and if don't want your plant to struggle then wait.

By cpman
tannerm wrote:
cpman wrote:As far as I have seen vine cuttings that have the original growthpoint just keep vining and acting like an adult plant which is why I actually prefer cutting lower down, they frequently make more than 1 growth point and throw out lower pitchers instead. Your cutting will probably throw out some basals once its established and the vine is long enough.
Yeah the vine is already close to a foot and a half long stretched out (from the growth point)... how long until it’s “established”? It’s been growing like a weed since I got it in October 16

Well I cant really give a definite time as I dont have a hamata(want one tho XD) and mainly grow lowlanders what I mean by established is more like have enough of a root system to support two growth points. As far as I know new growth point production is regulated by hormones produced by the main growth point on the vine(or sometimes the one closest to the root system) these hormones suppress other growth points from forming. When a vine gets long enough apparently these hormones dont quite reach other nodules which causes them to grow. My 2cents are just let it be its doing pretty nicely, it'll throw out basals when it does, but it most definetly will.
By tannerm
cpman wrote:
tannerm wrote:

Well I cant really give a definite time as I dont have a hamata(want one tho XD) and mainly grow lowlanders what I mean by established is more like have enough of a root system to support two growth points. As far as I know new growth point production is regulated by hormones produced by the main growth point on the vine(or sometimes the one closest to the root system) these hormones suppress other growth points from forming. When a vine gets long enough apparently these hormones dont quite reach other nodules which causes them to grow. My 2cents are just let it be its doing pretty nicely, it'll throw out basals when it does, but it most definetly will.
Thank you for the info!

By mikefallen13
I think the problem is that on a cutting, there usually aren't many nodes below soil where new growth could start. I mean, on a two or 3 node cutting you usually have one node below soil level. Compare that to a plant where the rosette grows slowly leaving a node at the base of each leaf where new roots/basals can emerge as the plant enters the vining stage later on. I'm sure it's possible that it may eventually produce a basal growth, but I, like you, wanted to see lowers and didn't want to wait.

I sold my hamata cutting from Native Exotics for that very reason.
By tannerm
mikefallen13 wrote:I think the problem is that on a cutting, there usually aren't many nodes below soil where new growth could start. I mean, on a two or 3 node cutting you usually have one node below soil level. Compare that to a plant where the rosette grows slowly leaving a node at the base of each leaf where new roots/basals can emerge as the plant enters the vining stage later on. I'm sure it's possible that it may eventually produce a basal growth, but I, like you, wanted to see lowers and didn't want to wait.

I sold my hamata cutting from Native Exotics for that very reason.
Oh man! That sucks. The upper is quite nice though :)

By Wikiwakawakawee
I think it depends on the species as well, some plants just naturally produce many more basils than others like Ampullaria and it's hybrids.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!