FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mo_carnivore
I don't care what people say about terrariums, this thing that I have is amazing for my (two) Nepenthes. The humidity is always high, and I can control air circulation through openable holes in the top of the roof. The temperature is almost perfect for my Nepenthes, getting into the low seventies in the day and high fifties at night. The light is not too bright, but still provides enough for the plants to grow well. Both plants have rewarded me with new pitchers!
I didn't notice this one for a while... it snuck up on me!
I didn't notice this one for a while... it snuck up on me!
Baby murduensis New Pitcher.JPG (533.23 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
This guy has really flourished in the terrarium, along with the hitchhiking sphagnum.
So tiny!
So tiny!
Baby N. murduensis.JPG (653.92 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
...and the whole plant. Got this one from Southbay Traps, they package their plants so well and the potting media seems to include live sphagnum... another plus!
A pretty large dwarf...
A pretty large dwarf...
N. maxima Watuutau Dwarf New Pitcher.JPG (275.71 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
This Nepenthes maxima "Watutau Dwarf" from Predatory plants has also done really well. It's giving me it's first pitcher, and from the looks of it is seems to be defying it's "Dwarf" name! Still a baby plant, and the pitcher is showing promise of being three or four inches long!
It's nice to know that plants are happy.
By Wikiwakawakawee
I have my N. Ampullaria x Talangensis in my vivarium, I kinda had to throw it in there since it was an unexpected gift from Native Exotics, and it's growing great!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
By saberonyx
Image my growth has been amazing in my terrarium for 1 month. My house is to cool in wintertime here in nyc. My Lady Luck was almost at a standstill last winter,here it is in January and im getting great growth

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
By Adelaide
The advice to stay away from terrariums is more for vfts and sarras that are prone to rot and don't need the high humidity. Tanks are great for neps :)

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
The main issue I've read about with keeping neps in terrariums is they outgrow the terrarium and then you have to wean a giant pitcher plant onto regular humidity. Also, if you want to keep critters like dart frogs or lizards and make it a vivarium, they can potentially get down inside the pitchers and die.
If you have the space and/or it's a small nep, there's no real drawbacks.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Vivariums don't need critters to be a vivarium do they??? I don't have any critters in my vivariums....so are they not vivariums?

By Adelaide
Oh no, not the vivarium vs. terrarium conversation again! There's a lot of discussion on the difference and whether a vivarium is a terrarium or a terrarium is a vivarium. The definitions are not very good, but usually vivariums contain animals.

By Adelaide
And just as a side note there are quite a few pdf keepers that like having neps in their vivs because it supplies a nice cozy hiding spot for the frogs/lizards.

By Wikiwakawakawee
Adelaide wrote:Oh no, not the vivarium vs. terrarium conversation again! There's a lot of discussion on the difference and whether a vivarium is a terrarium or a terrarium is a vivarium. The definitions are not very good, but usually vivariums contain animals.

Haha I don't know, I always thought a vivarium was just a self sustaining environment with microfauna and plant's, not necessarily with critters, but they can be included.

Anyways...the news do grow out pretty fast though, there's barely any room in my viv anymore

By veggiescarnivores
So by having two holes in the top allows enough air flow?
How do you get such goof temperatures? I can never quite get a good enough drop...
By mo_carnivore
By having enough holes in the top I mean that there has been no mold that I have seen... I don't know how to officially measure air flow. :) The holes are pretty big, though. The main reason why I have the big temp drop is because my setup is located directly below a very drafty window. I had to pad it up a bit and there is still a very noticeable difference closer to the window. The lights warm up the interior during the day. In the summer I probably will have more problems... :)
By saberonyx
saberonyx wrote:Image my growth has been amazing in my terrarium for 1 month. My house is to cool in wintertime here in nyc. My Lady Luck was almost at a standstill last winter,here it is in January and im getting great growth

Image a few weeks later this is that small pitcher on the right

Unkown sarracenia

Although I do not know what they are, I too would […]

Maybe find a way to measure out 1/16 of a teaspo[…]

Not what you would expect...

The guy who lived across from me has an electric[…]

You live in Siberia??? :shock:

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!