FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By stevefalco
I am new to flytraps. I bought a Dune Craft kit, and apparently like many other folks, had very little success with it - only one flytrap seed germinated. Naturally, I was disappointed, and so I decided to try again with a different supplier. I discovered flytrapstore.com, and ordered some seeds.

The seeds arrived very carefully packed in a crush-proof tube. I mixed up some plain sphagnum moss and pearlite, planted the seeds, and watered with the same "reverse osmosis" water I use for orchids. Success in a big way. Virtually every seed germinated. I now have 4 large plastic cups of baby flytraps, about 6 weeks old now.

Here is a micro-photo of one. Even though it is too small to eat a gnat, it is clearly fully formed. Fun!
DSC_0281.jpg
DSC_0281.jpg (44.78 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
By HarrisAz
haha gratz on the germination!that proves that FTS seeds rocks!

btw can i ask u one noob question?whats a Dune Craft Kit?i usualy see it on Utube and heard what ppl said in this forum but nvr know what it is.answers are appreciated :)

Regards
By HarrisAz
i wonder hw come FTS's seeds germinate and other supplier's dont?
By stevefalco
The Dune Craft kit I bought is a plastic terrarium, maybe 10" across and 6" high. They include peat moss, and two packets of seed. One packet can be planted immediately, but the other packet has to be stratified (by moistening the seeds, and then leaving them in the refrigerator for a month and a half to simulate winter).

I only had one flytrap germinate, but I have a few other seedlings that I cannot identify yet. The kit is said to include some sundew and pitcher seeds. They are just not big enough to tell which are which.

From what I've read, flytrap seeds should be very fresh in order to germinate well. I assume the problem with the Dune Craft kit is that it sits on a shelf in some warehouse, and the seeds are just too old.

If you are going to try growing from seed, I'd suggest getting the freshest seed you can find. Sadly, flytrapstore.com is apparently out of stock right now. I'd watch for when seeds become available again there, and quickly order some.
By Steve_D
stevefalco wrote:Sadly, flytrapstore.com is apparently out of stock right now.
Welcome Steve to the FlytrapCare.com Forum. Your Flytrap seedlings are looking great. :mrgreen:

Matt and I regularly put more of the latest harvest of seeds in stock, but we list the seed conservatively because we get orders from other sources and most of the remaining seed from the latest harvest is not yet packetized, but stored in bulk, refrigerated. So we try to make sure that we actually have enough seed on hand to fill the orders we get, by putting it in stock in reasonably small batches, packetizing some of it ahead of time, and monitoring the remaining supply. I hope that makes sense. :)
Steve_D liked this
By HarrisAz
as far as i know,VFT seeds dont need stratification

i cant w8 for my seeds to arrive!
By stevefalco
Right - since the flytrap seeds don't need any special treatment, I think you should plant them when they arrive - the fresher the better.
By snapperhead51
G'day from Australia too welcome to FTC :mrgreen:
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!