FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
Here's a question for people that grow pings as well as other CPs: Are pinguicula "boring" compared to other CPs? I dont mean to offend those cute little plants, but to me, pings are a tad less fun than other CPs e.g. Drosera. So tell me:
1. How fast do these things grow?
2. Do they bloom often (At mature size; If yes, then I guess they're not boring!)?
3. Is it fun to watch them grow (E.g. for Drosera the trap growth is pretty quick and you can see neat things like the unfurling of tentacles and VFTs make cool clam-like shapes before opening but pings just unfurl leaves like some "normal" plants)?
4. Is it fun watching them catch prey (Drosera wrap, VFTs snap, but Pings are like sticky tack)(Rhyme intended)

The traits I'm looking for are mostly number 3 and 4.

They wouldn't be so boring that I ask this if I could actually grow mexipings :(
By heywhathuh
Personally they're my favorite type of CP. They grow faster than my Sars, although not quite as fast as a Drosera. They're very easy to clone via leaf pullings (as opposed to waiting for a new shoot to grow on a nep, or waiting for a Sar to be big enough to divide.) Many of them have an awesome red/pink color when exposed to bright enough light, many of them change leaf shape throughout the year...... Even without the blooms/moving parts, I find them quite intriguing. Also I might just be a lunatic, but I enjoy watching flies land on my Pings and then struggle in vain to escape as they realize their mistake......

I freaking love Pings.
Last edited by heywhathuh on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Pings are beautiful not boring. And they come in so many shapes and sizes. That's what I love about em. Great colors and mesmerizing geometric symmetry.
Attachments:
IMG_1120.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5554 times
By Sakaaaaa
Alrighty then looks like I'll be getting a P. Primulifolia.

Do mexipings really need that 10° temp drop :( ?
By KategoricalKarnivore
They don't need a temp drop. And P. primuliflora is not a Mexican ping. It's a temperate one. They grow differently than the Mexicans.
By riveraXVX
I don't own any myself but I think some of the ones people grow on different types of rocks (lava rocks? some of those displays look pretty awesome and I'd like to learn more about it some time growing in crevices of rocks and stuff
By jeff
Bonjour

for the mexican and some others see here http://www.pinguicula.org/
go to 'articles' after on 'mexican field trip ' ,you have many reports on their condition 'in situ'

in french, desolate ,but with Google no probleme to translate
you can see also some 'in situ' condition except for the mexican on my web site here http://fern72.free.fr/siteweb/pinguicula.html to 'photos in/ex situ' or on my little forum http://pinguicula.free.fr/ in 'stand by actually'

jeff
jeff liked this
By Sakaaaaa
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:They don't need a temp drop. And P. primuliflora is not a Mexican ping. It's a temperate one. They grow differently than the Mexicans.
I know, my wording is just really messed up in my last post. What I meant was that I can grow temperates OK but I don't think I can grow mexipings because I read somewhere that they need a 10°C temp drop in the winter. If they dont need one then ALRIGHT THAT'S GREAT!!!
jeff wrote:Bonjour

may be some problem to grow in indonesia the ping !!

the climate is not favorable, but who does not try anything has nothing

jeff
I have to try..! I'm also growing a VFT which is temperate. Tons of people here grow temperates but I'm not sure whether they're aware that temperates need dormancy :? ...
By xr280xr
I think they're a little more on the ornamental side compared to VFTs and drosera but I find them way more interesting than, say, succulents. Aside from their coloration, their dew can make them look really beautiful when the light hits them right. Even though of all my plants, I refill the water on my pings the most (which is partly due to small pots), I still consider them one of the lowest maintenance CPs I have.
By Sakaaaaa
Thanks for all the input. The order plan goes like this:
TOMORROW:
-D. Paradoxa
-Sphag (To round up the cost and for seeds)

BIRTHDAY:
Pinguicula Agnata x Gypsicola

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!