FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By erikHIplants
Diving into the pings. Just ordered a jaumavensis from cascade carnivores. Soil mix, 1:1 lava rock, sand, vermiculite and peat.

Disclaimer: Gravel was for aesthetic purposes being less than a cm thick surrounding main roots. I have had this gravel sitting in distilled water for almost 2 months and checked weekly with a TDS meter to ensure no leeching of minerals.

Overall happy with the result :D
Attachments:
IMG_6609.JPG
IMG_6609.JPG (268.85 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Last edited by erikHIplants on Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By erikHIplants
coffeenflowers wrote:Me too! I got my jaumavensis today too! You didn't take pullings? I took a few of mine for backups as insurance just in case something unfortunate happens...
Yes I got 5 pullings! I too am trying to figure out the water levels through trial and error.
By xr280xr
erikHIplants wrote:I too am trying to figure out the water levels through trial and error.
Ron at cascade carnivores told me he uses flooding to water them and I've done the same which has worked great. For actively growing plants, he said he floods a 3 inch pot up to 2" or up to 1" for those with winter leaves. My media wicks water surprisingly well so I actually only flood up to an inch at most. Once the water fully evaporates from the tray I wait a day or two and then fill it up again.
xr280xr, xr280xr liked this
By coffeenflowers
xr280xr wrote:
erikHIplants wrote:I too am trying to figure out the water levels through trial and error.
Ron at cascade carnivores told me he uses flooding to water them and I've done the same which has worked great. For actively growing plants, he said he floods a 3 inch pot up to 2" or up to 1" for those with winter leaves. My media wicks water surprisingly well so I actually only flood up to an inch at most. Once the water fully evaporates from the tray I wait a day or two and then fill it up again.
Ooh, interesting! That's a lot higher than I've been keeping the water level on mine with all-mineral mix. What about pings that are in between carnivorous and winter leaves?
By erikHIplants
xr280xr wrote:
Interesting, I will definitely look into it. My ping went through a little shock but is now recovering well in the media shown.
By Grey
xr280xr wrote:
Brilliant advice! It's so easy to make it seem that Mexican Pinguicula are "allergic" to water (I've done this unintentionally in the past), but with all-mineral mixes, this sort of care is vital to keeping the plants flourishing long-term. I've had major problems keeping my plants successfully in purely mineral mixes, in part because I'm so accustomed to keeping them fairly dry, and this just doesn't work well in non-absorbent mixes.
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!