FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Elaol
Is there any alternatives to silica sand/perlite? I've only found 25 kg silica sand for kids playground (and I don't need that much) and perlite is nowhere to be found.I hear orchid bark can be used with pure peat as the alternative. Is that true? Or is there anything else that can be used? Tomorrow I am going to the city, so can I buy something else? I've decided not to use peat with zeolite I will buy another one
By sss
orchids bark works for nepenthes I'm not sure about other plants. I would go with thousand worst thing that could happen is you get extra sand for next time you repot
By Elaol
I am on one group on facebook, they say styrofoam is great when chopped and mixed with peat. What do you guys think?
By steve booth
As far as I'm aware in an acidic soil styrofoam SLOWLy releases chemicals into the soil which can untimately be detremental to your plants.
Washed and tested (TDS) coir can be mixed with peat as can gravel (no lime or soft material something like fish tank gravel is OK), sphagnum moss (as long as it is sphagnum) or any other filling material that is inert, the inert bit being crucial.
Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this
By Kevonicus
Starchy wrote:Where abouts do you live elaol? I will take a stab at finding you silica/perlite.
I was gonna say, you'd have to be pretty not find either!
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!