FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By boarderlib
I have always been pretty shy and recluse for the most part. I've been the type of person who never needed a lot of friends, but a few very close people that I've deemed “trustworthy” has always been more me. I've almost always kept most people at an arms length, but we can dive more into that later. After talking to a fellow forum member over the course of the last few weeks, she's inspired me to do something I would never normally do. She has inspired me to open myself up more. So with that said this thread will be all about me, my life, maybe even some rants and I may even throw in some pics of my plants and a few miscellaneous pics occasionally. Thank you for the inspiration!

Some of you older members may recall where I've mentioned my memorial plant a few times in previous posts, well this post will go into much more detail than I've ever publicly (obviously not including the people who where there) gone into about that person, and that plant. That person was my dad. Growing up I wasn’t really close to my dad, I was the traditional “mama's boy”, although I spent more time at grandma's house than anywhere else. My parents got divorced for the second time when I was about 22. Yes, they married each other twice. After the last divorce my dad and I became extremely close. We ate together, drank together, rode together, snowboarded together, we even chased a few girls together. We were closer than most best friends. I'm laughing right now just thinking about some of the stories I could tell involving us, I'll get into some of those at another time. My dad has always been a physical fitness nut. He was a kayaker, a snowboarder, a runner, a rollerblader, but his love was racing his bike. At age 50 I don't doubt for one second he could've ran circles around me (being 23 at that time) without breaking a sweat.

My dad was taken from us doing what he loved most. He was in southern Ohio riding in a 24 hour bike race. Since it was such a long race, they needed a large circuit. So they did it on public roads and couldn't afford to close off the roads I guess. My dad was in the front of a group of riders that were riding on the left side of the right lane signaling a left turn. My dad started his turn when he was hit by a truck from behind. The person had crossed double yellow lines doing 65 mph to go around the line of bikes. My dad was killed instantly. This was May 1, 2004.
This traumatized me so bad that I don't even remember the following year. I have no recollection of both of my grandparents dying shortly there after. I have been told I went to all of the funerals, but I only remember seeing my extremely active dad laying in a box.

One of my dad's favorite annual things was to go out to Oregon every year for a bike tour of the state with his bike club. There's a stretch of memorial highway in Oregon named in his honor. He was also a huge nature nut, the kind of person who could sit and watch a waterfall for hours. And one of the biggest animal lovers I've ever known. I got countless unusual pets, because he would pick them up on the road and bring them home. Multiple turtles, a baby racoon, snakes. He also kept multiple snakes, the biggest being Bernie a 13’ Burmese Python. These are the reasons why I choose a Darlingtonia Californica as my memorial plant, a cobra lily makes perfect sense. Plus the resemblance is uncanny.

The whole scenario around obtaining Bob seals the deal for him being my memorial plant. I seen the help the injured biker thread, and I just knew there was something strange. My dad broke his knee cap when he crashed his mountain bike riding in the park with me. Since my dad instilled in me to always help others, I knew I had to at least make a purchase to help Phil. So I started discussing everything with Phil. I believe this was early March when we first discussed it. I went ahead and bought a legacy plant by Phil’s standards. At this time Phil only shipped like twice a month, and low and behold with just my luck I fell in between shipping times. I waited and as we got a cold snap coming in sure enough at shipping time I emailed Phil and asked him to hold off until next go around to ship. Next shipping date nears and everything seems to be cooperating. Yay! Wrong, there was yet another shipping issue. I don't recall off hand what the problem was this time, but shipping got delayed (I think it was weather on Phil's end). Now it's into the beginning of April, almost the middle of April. Phil emailed me and said he had it packed and it would be shipped the next day. He also told me he threw in a bunch of extra stuff, extra plant, live red moss, and a section of stolon. Finally my memorial plant showed up on April 18, the day before my dad's birthday, which was April 19th. He was officially dubbed Bob.

I normally just completely shut myself down for about a month from about a week before my dad's birthday to shortly after his death date. I typically just go through life's motions without seeing anything around me. Since I've gotten Bob I've actually been able to somewhat function through this time. It's been at the least a 40% life quality improvement through early spring. Hopefully this year will be a little better.

I'm posting this not for sympathy, but to hopefully help myself find the closure I've need for so long. It also let's you guys get to know more about me and what makes me me.

The next couple posts won't be so depressing. I'm just not really one for testing waters, so I dove right into the hard part.

Happy growing!

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
boarderlib, boarderlib, boarderlib and 8 others liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
Thanks for sharing Heath. It takes a lot to let others in and you have taken a great first step. Keep it up buddy.
By Bob Beer
Your dad sounds like he was an amazing person. I'm sorry he was yarn from you so early. Plants are wonderful ways to remember someone. In addition to CP I'm also an outdoor gardener, and everywhere I've gardened, there have been plants that remind me of someone, either because they gave them to me, or they were with me when I got it...any number of scenarios. I even have an African Violet, not something I've ever been overly into to be honest...but it's a start from one my mother took to Arkansas from Iowa in 1986, and grew huge in the same pot it was brought in. I took the start when she had to enter a care facility 3+ years ago and was no longer able to care for it. I think all her friends are growing a piece of it.

I think there's no healthier way to remember and honor someone who has passed, than to nurture something living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob Beer liked this
By nimbulan
I clicked on this expecting another picture thread and I guess I was wrong! I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your dad, but that Darlingtonia certainly does sound fitting as a memorial plant. I hope that talking about it openly helps you find closure as well.

Out of curiosity, do you know where that stretch of highway named after him is? As an Oregonian, I'm wondering if I've been there before.
nimbulan liked this
By Adelaide
Thanks for sharing, Heath.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
I should've added please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Thank you everyone for your time and thoughts! It really truly is appreciated:).

He was an amazing person. He was the guy who would give you the shirt off his back, and the last dollar in his pocket on a freezing day. Just so you could be warm, despite what he would have to endure. And FUNNY. I laughed so hard sometimes I peed a LOT!
Bob Beer wrote:I think there's no healthier way to remember and honor someone who has passed, than to nurture something living.
I think this sums it up perfectly. I just wished I would've found this out sooner. On the other side of the coin though, it could've been worse I may never have realized it.

May your violet flourish and bless you with many years of growth. I just looked at some at Drug Mart yesterday when I was getting water. That's kind of funny, I only really grow CP's now.
nimbulan wrote:I clicked on this expecting another picture thread and I guess I was wrong!
I got you.;) Lol.
nimbulan wrote:Out of curiosity, do you know where that stretch of highway named after him is? As an Oregonian, I'm wondering if I've been there before.
Off hand I don't recall, I want to say it's something like highway 200, but I will dig it up and let you know.

My wife and I have been discussing taking a vacation out there in the next couple years, to follow his route. There's a couple pics of him in places that I would like to see. One was a redwood forest(I think), he's standing inside a huge tree, and of course Crater lake. And I'll have no choice but to stop and see some of my darlings.

By Grey
Hey Heath,

Thank you so much for opening yourself up and sharing with us! It's awesome to hear where you've come from (even though, obviously, the circumstances themselves aren't at all awesome and I am so, so sorry for your loss) and where you are going. I love Bob's wisdom there, "I think there's no healthier way to remember and honor someone who has passed, than to nurture something living." SO, so good!

I'm sure that there are other people on the forum who can relate to at least some of what you've shared and you may find that, by sharing, you help to unlock them a bit. ;-) I look forward to seeing your next posts, I'll definitely be subscribing.
By Bob Beer
In Turkey, when someone passes, they say "başın sağolsun," more or less "may you be sound." In Greece they say "life to you." It sounds a little uncaring at first - no words about the loss or condolences (though that's implied of course). But it serves as a reminder that life is still here, and we are part of it. It's like saying "This is the only life we have; I wish you the strength to move through your grief and go on living." The answer to that wish is "Dostlar sağolsun" - "may [my, your, our] friends be sound."

What a great gift he left to you.

By Abeginner
I'll have to say ...that was not quite what I thought I'd read on here.. but it was GREAT.. a lot of us can relate in one way or another, I know I can. Thank you for this!! And I'm so sorry that you had to go through that.. I certainly wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!!

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
Grey wrote:Hey Heath,

Thank you so much for opening yourself up and sharing with us! It's awesome to hear where you've come from (even though, obviously, the circumstances themselves aren't at all awesome and I am so, so sorry for your loss) and where you are going. I love Bob's wisdom there, "I think there's no healthier way to remember and honor someone who has passed, than to nurture something living." SO, so good!
There's my inspiration;). You deserve a special thank you, because without your guidance I probably would've never done this. So for that I say thank you for being you! I typically don't like pointing people out, but this is one of them cases that it is well deserved;)

Since we're bringing up quotes I would like to share one of the ones that encouraged me the most to do this. "When we give a piece of ourselves, it can help to unlock others." Rachel

Bob Beer wrote:In Turkey, when someone passes, they say "başın sağolsun," more or less "may you be sound." In Greece they say "life to you." It sounds a little uncaring at first - no words about the loss or condolences (though that's implied of course). But it serves as a reminder that life is still here, and we are part of it. It's like saying "This is the only life we have; I wish you the strength to move through your grief and go on living." The answer to that wish is "Dostlar sağolsun" - "may [my, your, our] friends be sound."

What a great gift he left to you.

I don't think that seems uncaring at all, but it does go to show you how different cultures deal with death. We as Americans mostly mourn death, whereas most countries try to celebrate the life of. This is something I lost track of along the way. I've always tried to honor my father in the ways I knew he would want me to. I've done a couple snowboard contests in his honor, since that was one of the things my dad was most proud of me for. It took losing him to find this little tidbit out. I was going through his stuff and found tons of pics that I had no idea were even taken of me snowboarding. One he even blew up and had at work.

Thank you for your time and thoughts abeginner.

As much as it hurts sometimes, and I still tear up at times especially through this thread, I have always tried to believe what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. I've had a lot of doubts about it, but here I am still chugging along.

boarderlib liked this
By boarderlib
A funny story. I'm sitting on my couch after a long day, and of course I have a cat on my lap. This night it was my youngest cat Mortimer, or known to me as Mort dawg. My daughter hates it when I call him that. Anyways he had a hard day of playing and getting into stuff, so he was pretty close to being passed out. I rarely get a chance to take pics of him looking sweet, because he's always on the go. So I jumped on it and grabbed the phone. First pic, cute as seen here. Image
The second pic I flipped the phone around and put it in selfie mode, so I could get a little closer in on the shot. This was the result.
I think it's safe to say, he's not into selfies.

boarderlib, boarderlib liked this
By mmlucio
boarderlib wrote:A funny story. I'm sitting on my couch after a long day, and of course I have a cat on my lap. This night it was my youngest cat Mortimer, or known to me as Mort dawg. My daughter hates it when I call him that. Anyways he had a hard day of playing and getting into stuff, so he was pretty close to being passed out. I rarely get a chance to take pics of him looking sweet, because he's always on the go. So I jumped on it and grabbed the phone. First pic, cute as seen here. Image
The second pic I flipped the phone around and put it in selfie mode, so I could get a little closer in on the shot. This was the result.
I think it's safe to say, he's not into selfies.

Omg! He is so cute! But looks like he is PISSED!

By Grey
He is so gorgeous! He reminds me of our Misi, who tends to have two modes:

sweet, cute, lovable
13.jpg
13.jpg (15.05 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
and

"you just did what, stupid human?"
7.jpg
7.jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
(And, if I'm completely honest, here... I think a selfie of me would look VERY VERY similar!)
By boarderlib
mmlucio wrote:
Omg! He is so cute! But looks like he is PISSED!

He definitely didn't appreciate the situation. Although, I found it quite amusing. Lol
Grey wrote:He is so gorgeous! He reminds me of our Misi, who tends to have two modes:

sweet, cute, lovable
13.jpg
and

"you just did what, stupid human?"
7.jpg
(And, if I'm completely honest, here... I think a selfie of me would look VERY VERY similar!)
Lol. Thank you for sharing! I'm quite the opposite I don't mind selfies. My face twists up when someone else takes a pic of me.

Misi is such a little cutie! Full of personality too, I'll bet.

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!