FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By bvalente
And so the addiction begins, I was out at the local nursery to see what they got in store and picked me up another flytrap. I am assuming this is another typical, but I liked it because it was more upright than my other ones.

So far I have 2 young vigorous from the FTS and 3 typicals I got from my local nursery. They're growing under a 24w t5ho 6500k and 2000 lumens. The light is about 6 inches from the canopy and I am using a make shift aluminum foil over the top for a reflector (I know it's basic). Their photoperiod is 12 hours on and 12 off with whatever sunlight drops into the sunroom.

They're in 5x5in pots and are being tray watered distiller water. A couple have been stressed from repotting (I was learning at the time, research helps but best way to learn is to grow).

I added the new addition to the VFT that seemed most mature and has handled the stress very well.

Here are my plants and setup :)
Last edited by bvalente on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bvalente
LAKJP wrote:Wow! Congratulations! I wanted to get a typical from a local store, but could not find any :(
My local nursery has a ton of them! Seriously probably 15-20 seperate pots to choose from. There were a couple that had seriously probably 20 traps on a single plant, all no bigger than a dime size. I was looking at getting it and propagating it into different pots, but they were low along the ground and I wanted something a little different. Not a ton of traps on the one I picked, and I like it that way.

As you can see from some of the pics, some of the plants were stressed from replanting and getting used to the new light. So a couple of the new leaves on my bigger of the vigorous are even somewhat burned. The new growth on my other typicals have been sending out some big leaves and traps. I am so anxious to get them outside.

For now though I am letting everything get acclimated to the light/soil. Allowing the plants to start sending out some good solid growth. The hardest part about taking care of these plants is waiting :lol:
By LAKJP
Well, good luck! I might go search next week for a typical, some of them are really interesting!
By bvalente
So upon receiving my vigorous from FTS I waited 2 days to repot them from LFSM into a 50/50 mix. There was some stress from shipping and everything.

It's about two weeks later and one of the plants has 3 traps (still coloring) and the other plant has only 1 (but with about 4 leaves, the other traps I pinched off because they died).

Anyway I wanted to post a pic and ask for any advice to help my baby or is some TLC and time the best thing for it.

This one is the one with only one trap.

This is the one with a cut flower stalk but seems to be healthier.

By Matt
Actually, I think the one in the first photo with only one trap might be healthier at this point based on the fact that I can see new growth emerging. The one in the second photo is probably stalled because of the flower stalk, but will resume growth soon with good care.

They both look alive and well for being recently repotted. Give them another few weeks to settle in and make new traps and they'll look much better :)
Matt liked this
By bvalente
Matt wrote:Actually, I think the one in the first photo with only one trap might be healthier at this point based on the fact that I can see new growth emerging. The one in the second photo is probably stalled because of the flower stalk, but will resume growth soon with good care.

They both look alive and well for being recently repotted. Give them another few weeks to settle in and make new traps and they'll look much better :)
Thank you for your help! I know you take great care of your plants I just wanted to make sure the stress from me repotting them didn't set them back or hurt them.

Hardest part is waiting but I'll sit here patiently and can't wait to see how they grow!
By Matt
bvalente wrote:Hardest part is waiting but I'll sit here patiently and can't wait to see how they grow!
I hear ya! Waiting is definitely hard, but that's part of what makes growing these plants so rewarding, I think. Ogling over a beautifully grown flytrap is all that much sweeter when you know all the time and effort put into caring for it :)
By bvalente
Cut a meal worm into small pieces, here is a video feeding one of my flytraps. I'm guessing it's just getting out of dormancy so it is a little slower, but it is still pretty cool to give it a little treat :D

View My Video
By cdelavan
bvalente wrote:Image

Got another one haha check out the coloring on it!

Great looking plant! Definitely a good purchase!

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!