FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Smooter80
I just received some Solanum pyracanthum seeds from PK. I don't grow many non-CPs but I'm going to give this one a try. Has anyone grown it before? I read it can get several feet tall. PK's photos.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 5582 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (52.18 KiB) Viewed 5582 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (58.45 KiB) Viewed 5582 times
Last edited by Smooter80 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smooter80, Smooter80 liked this
By Smooter80
I do like spiky plants. This is one of my plants I've had for many years that is about 30". It flowers continually from early spring to late fall.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1001.21 KiB) Viewed 5576 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (363.24 KiB) Viewed 5576 times
By Jaws
Yeah, if those leaves could move when an insect is near and spear its prey, would be impressive :P
By Fishman
Smooter80 wrote:I just received some Solanum pyracanthum seeds from PK. I don't grow many non-CPs but I'm going to give this one a try. Has anyone grown it before? I read it can get several feet tall. PK's photos.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Any updates on this beast? Thats a mean looking dude right there!
By Smooter80
I pretty much forgot about these. I have only tried water germination and that didn't work I still have a few more seeds to try on regular media. Next time I start some CP seeds I'll try these again.
By Smooter80
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:If that plants evolves and starts walking, we're screwed :)
Looks almost like golden cholla we have down here. I'm no cactus grower, but that looks almost like a cactus! What's it's common name?
Porcupine Tomato
By Leo756
Smooter80 wrote:I pretty much forgot about these. I have only tried water germination and that didn't work I still have a few more seeds to try on regular media. Next time I start some CP seeds I'll try these again.
I just looked it up in the big seed germination chart I got from backyardgardener.com. It says Solanum is a "greenhouse perennial" meaning you can sow seeds for it anytime of year. It says they need a well-drained medium and should be sowed directly on the surface because it needs light to germinate, with a temperature of 70-80 F. The usual germination period is between 15-20 days. Sounds like they'd do well on the surface of a regular ol' seed-starting mix like Miracle Gro makes, and fluorescent lights with a 6500K color temp would probably help a lot too. Hope this helps on your next attempt. I hate to even think about repotting something like that after it gets very big! Make sure you wear thick gloves!
Leo756 liked this
By Smooter80
Thank you Leo. That's very helpful!! I have some Sarr seeds that have been in stratification and are ready to start so I'll get the Solanum pyracanthum started at the same time. Now I just have to see if I have any miniral media around lol.
By Leo756
You're welcome. I usually use the Miracle Gro seed-starting mix for any non-CP seeds or cuttings and it usually works really well, especially with gentle bottom heat from below and fluorescent light from above. It has something in it (potassium, maybe?) that's supposed to help encourage root growth. I never even bother with rooting hormone anymore when doing cuttings. Good luck with that wicked plant! Let us know how it turns out.
By Smooter80
I haven't gotten around to starting any new seeds but I did move the old ones from water into peat and bumped the temps. Well one germinated and I waited 2 days to move it to "normal" soil. It already had over a 1" deep root. I forgot how fast non-CPs grow. For now it's looking really good and the first true leaves should be coming in soon.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!