FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
Since these are on the Endangered Species list is everyone allowed to request since they are given away for free? Also, Once they grow do the same rules still apply about selling them out of state?
S. oreophila (Sand Mountain MK07) OP - 3 pkg
S. alabamensis x self - 13 pkg
S. jonesii OP - 1 pkg
By Panman
The OP plants would be crosses and should be labeled as such. In that case, they are not governed by the CITES regulation. The alabamensis x self would still be alabamensis and would be restricted.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
Panman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:05 pm The OP plants would be crosses and should be labeled as such. In that case, they are not governed by the CITES regulation. The alabamensis x self would still be alabamensis and would be restricted.
Ah, I did not even notice the OP. Thanks for clarifying that. So why would the alabamensis x self be restricted if they are given away? Do you mean once they are grown? CITES says they can not be sold across state lines. In reading on the ICPS site, I believe it was Barry Rice that stated something along the lines of even asking for postage might be questionable.
By Panman
Sorry, I meant once grown they cannot be sold across state lines. As long as it is entirely free, it can be given away. And I was referring to grown plants. Seeds is a gray area. Sorry that I muddied the water.
andynorth liked this
By ChefDean
The three plants you listed, if pure, would very restricted from being able to be sold across state lines. If OP, there's still a chance they're pure (x self), but not easily or economically feasible to be proven. The receiver paying postage could be construed as paying for them, but I have never seen that explicitly forbidden, but people err on the side of caution and don't typically charge anything for them if sent across state lines.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
Panman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:43 pm Seeds is a gray area.
This statement was copied from ICPS web site. Not trying to argue, I just wanted to point it out.

"3)The E.S.A. treats seeds and pollen just the same as it treats plants (see definition of specimen, in E.S.A. A.17.3)"
Our Postal Workers Hard At It

Last autumn I had a Nepenthes being shipped from C[…]

Tap water

It also depends on what the solids are in the TDS.[…]

I have a feeling he is going to horde those for hi[…]

Received. Thank you

SASE is mailed

Bear Paw Succulent

Hello beautiful people! I just wanted to check in […]

baby sundew found in mu bog pot

I think some of your bog plants may have set seed […]

What the f-

What is this? Is my flytrap finally fighting bac[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!